Your turf plant is 75-80% water by weight, so it’s no surprise that watering is crucial to developing a beautiful lawn. When your lawn starts to look a little blue, or you can start to see footprints… it’s time to water.
The Best Time for Watering
It’s best to water your lawn in the early morning, between 4 – 8am, while wind and evaporation losses are low. Night watering should be avoided if possible, because it increases the chances of disease problems in your lawn. Plants should be dry, prior to nightfall to help prevent disease.
How Often and How Much?
You should always base watering on the needs of the plant, and you’ll want to make sure that you’re adjusting watering schedules accordingly. Your lawn should be watered as thoroughly as possible every 5 to 7 days. Deep soaking will help develop a strong root system for your lawn. Lawn sprinklers or your underground sprinkler system should cover the entire lawn area.
You need to find a happy balance that’s right for your lawn. Over-watering lawns will result in a shallow root system, and under-watering lawns will result in dead or brown grass. The best way to determine the proper amount of water for your lawn is to discuss it with your K-Lawn® lawn care specialist.
Points to Remember About Watering:
- Your turf plant is 75-80% water by weight, so watering is crucial to developing a healthy lawn.
- The best watering times are between 4 – 8am, while wind and evaporation losses are low.
- Night watering should be avoided to help prevent disease.
- Watering should be based on the needs of the plant.
- Lawns should be watered thoroughly, as needed, every 5-7 days.
- Deep soaking helps develop a strong root system in lawns.
- Make sure your sprinklers cover the entire lawn area.